Thursday, November 29, 2007

ROUGHNECKS VS PHOTOGRAPHER

I photographed some roughnecks, as they call themselves, working on an oil rig near my house for the Detroit News. Ya, who knew there was oil drilling in southeast Michigan, I didn’t. Good guys! I always like photographing people with tough, dirty, manual labor jobs. They have tough jobs out in the cold, about 25 degrees, mud, ice with physical backbreaking work. They love it too! Maybe I like them because my dad was a tradesman working as an electrician, until he retired a year or so ago so I grew up knowing “the working man” and respect what they do. I can relate somewhat working on horse farms when I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and started learning about photography. I remember working in the winter with temps in the teens, wind chill below zero caring for the horses and working the farm. It sucked many times but in a weird way was also cool. So being a photographer does take skill but is a cushy job compared to guys like these. I don’t miss the manual labor but I do miss it. I think it also helps me in my photography with not minding to get dirty, get wet and do physically challenging thins to get a shot. Read story here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious - is it that big drilling rig off I-275 between 7 * 8 mile? I've been wondering what drilling was going on there. (assumed this may be "near year house" with all of the photo sessions you've done in Mill Race Park -- love that location!)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Loki said...

Looks like a fun place to do a trash the dress photoshoot!
-Stephanie McLean

12:26 PM  
Blogger Muggsy said...

Oil rig that close by?? Wow.. I never knew that either. I knew of some that are more towards Hillsdale areas, but around Novi.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Bryan Mitchell said...

Aurora, I was thinking the same thing while I was there. If I get a bride that wants to get real dirty I might try to talk the workers into letting me do it!
Yes its the rig off of 275. The first well is already dug and this is the second. The story will be in Fridays Detroit News. They drilled down about 600 feet then across about 8000 feet under 275 and under 8 mile into Farmington Hills. The vert depth is around 3000 feet.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Loki said...

If I can find a good dress to trash, I'll give you a call! I can't trash my actual wedding dress or my mother will have my head.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home