Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Fallen

I photographed George and Sue for the Detroit News and the photo will run on Memorial Day. I have a lot on my mind about the war and our soldiers dying and all the innocent kids being injured and killed. All I can say right now is be glad your kids were born in America and be glad there are brave men, and in many cases kids, willing to volunteer their service in the military.

George and Sue Hill with a photo of their grandson, who they raised as their own son, Marine Reserve Pfc. Tarryl Hill looking out the window where a Fallen Star Flag hangs May 25, 2007 in their Shelby Township home. Tarryl was killed by sniperfire while serving in Iraq. He was only 19.

George told me this great story. They are actually his grandparents but have raised him as their own son since he was 4 months old. When Tarryl graduated from boot camp they had two t-shirts that said "My grandson is a Marine." Tarryl grabbed them, took the shirts back and got two shirts that said "My son is a Marine." You could tell this made George very proud. Thanks to the Hill’s for allowing me to photograph them and sharing with me. These stories need to be told so faces are put to the numbers and stats.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How amazing that this couple raised their grandson. (And that he grew to love them as his parents.) It's so sad to loose someone so young. It is important for us to see the families that have lost their loved ones in this war. With all of the war talk, so many people disconnect themselves from it. Seeing a sad face of a loved one left behind reminds us that this is a real war, and these are real people dying for us.

Beautiful Story!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home