Sunday, July 27, 2008

I rode 300 miles this weekend

Wow, what a weekend. I home from my 300 mile bicycle ride for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan and I'm beat. I have posted a gallery and would like to write more but I need to get to bed because I leave for a camping trip in the morning with my kids. If I have a chance I will post more thoughts about the ride and shooting on Monday but if not when I get back.

Me riding in WAM 08.

The wish kid I was riding for was not at the finish so I had my kids give me my medal.


I rode with Kevin again this year for about 45 minutes Sunday morning. Just one of the great memories I have. A few more below in no particular order.


- 202 wishes granted!!!!!
- Riding much of the way with my brother-in-law
- Having a rider tell me I did a good pull when I felt like crap
- The goat at on the last climb Friday, weird noises?
- In pain and suffering, then saying out load to myself at mile 86 on day 2, "I don't want to do this anymore."
- Then remembering the kids we ride for; so I put on in my earphones and turned the music up ( shhh, don't tell anyone) and got in a zone.
- The Amish boy sitting on his pony.
- Not photographing the sunflowers along the road Sunday because I was tired and didn't want to leave the group I was with. I will always regret it.
- All the people who told me how much they enjoy my photographs, you are to kind.
- Riding 20 mph and shooting photos at the same time.
- Meg's smiling face
- My knee hurting most of the 300 miles
- Think about my kids
- Tearing up as I approached the finish shoot and again when I saw my kids.
- Flying the last 10 miles forgetting about all the pain.
- Photographing the wish kids give riders their medals.
- Waiting for Kevin at the finish, photographing him and then hugging him.
- That damn cross wind
- That great tailwind!
- Riding with team Taylor on the last day, thanks guys.
- Not getting to ride with Team Blizzard much :(
- Not riding with team Alex at all :(
- How heavy my bike was with all the camera gear
- The lasagna on Saturday night, Yum!
- The cop on a horse
- I really don't like climbing
- 40mph downhills
- The buzz of the tires in a big group
- Wishing my son could see me riding in a group of 20+ riders, he would have loved it
- Wishing I didn't have to ride anymore but very sad when it was over
- The inspiration from many, many people I felt
- The photos I made and the photos I missed.

I have many more thoughts but I am heading out the door to take my kids camping.
What a great ride!


2 Comments:

Blogger Mackey said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog & your photos are awesome.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Awesome job Bryan! I really enjoyed working with you this year and am already anxious about next year! Your photos from WAM are simply amazing - excellent work! Not many people can ride 300 miles and capture the emotion of the event all in one! You are a wonderful man and it was my pleasure to have spent some time with you during the tour!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home