Thursday, October 11, 2007

OLD SCHOOL


I have been going through old prints and negatives, remember those, on an off and thought I would start to post some. I have been shooting for 20 years now. Although my career didn't go the way I though it might 20 years ago I have photographed many things and met some really cool people along the way. I will try and post one or two old photos every week. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

CORRECTION: The photo above was published in March of 88, my wife reminded me and I found the original neg and the date was marked on the holder. Also I guess you could say I didn't start working as a pro photographer until 1990 when I started shooting full time at the Northville Record. So I guess my 20 year mark as a pro is a few years off, there is still hope. :)

The photo above was my very first published photo. It was published in the Oakland Press back in 87. Then they called me and asked if I wanted to shoot assignments for them. I was going to school at Oakland Community College at the time, which I never finished, but learned much more from the photogs at the OP and making many mistakes.

Funny story about the photo. There was a storm that blew through and I saw some glowing in the distance from my house. So I ran out of the house and jumped into my car to go see what it was. I was still living with my parents. As I pulled out of the driveway my mom yelled out, "don't you need this?" holding up my camera. I usually left it in the car but this time it wasn't. Thank mom! Funny thing is I still do things like this 20 years later. I can seem to leave the house without going back in 2-3 times for something I forgot.


Over the years I photographed a bunch of car crashes. This one was probably in the mid 90's. It was shot in Novi less then a mile from where I live now while working for The Novi News and Northville Record. I miss working there some because of all the great people I met but the money was bad and I ended up stuck there in a rut for almost 7 years which held me back I think. More to come.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

yup, that second one is def the 90s. Ha Ha. Look at their clothes!!

How cool is it to look back on a 20 year career. So where DID you think you would end up?

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home