Monday, April 28, 2008

JAKE'S HOMETOWN

I got a call from the photo desk at the Miami Herald last week looking for a freelance photographer here in Michigan. The Miami Dolphins were drafting Jake Long from the University of Michigan and he is from Lapeer, Michigan. So they sent a reporter up to get a feel for Jake’s hometown and needed photos to go with the story. So I spent all day in Lapeer getting a feel for Jake and wear he grew up. I had not been there in quite some time. I first had the reporter hook me up with Jake’s best friend from high school who is now the schools head football coach. He was able to point me to a few other places. My best find was a hand made sign in town that said “sports cards”. So I went into Harry’s Sports Cards and he had a bunch of Jake Long “Rookie” cards and also a bunch of stories about Jake and his friends. The day went much better then I had hoped, you never know what will happen on these types of assignments, and I had fun making images to show Jake’s hometown. The story ran on Saturday but didn’t have any images online. I hope to get a few copies of the paper to send to people in Lapeer. They were real nice to me.

Downtown Lapeer

Dagwoods Deli where Jake's mom has worked for 21 years.

Harrys card shop.

Jakes best friend and head football coach at Lapeer East High, Jake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home